Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

DIY Gatsby headband





Difficulty:



Cost:

$5-$10


This post has been a long time in the coming, but finally it's here!
The Great Gatsby was one of the most wonderful movies we've seen this year; the music, the costumes, the hair, Leo... Beautiful.
So it seemed only fitting that we have a Gatsby themed tutorial, and what better to make, but a gorgeous glittery, golden headband!
This is Ali's take on Gatsby glam, the easy, inexpensive way!




Tools:

Scissors
Needle and thread
Sewing machine


Materials:

Black 15mm elastic
3 types of trim


First up, measure the circumference of your head and then subtract 10mm.
This is the total length your headband should be, allowing for elastic stretch. From this total, decide how long you want the elastic section to be, mine was around 9cm long. 
The remaining length is the amount of trim you will be using.

So once you've figured out the measurements, it's time to start sewing!
I started by pinning a length of gold trim onto each end of my white trim as below.




I then sewed these pieces on using my sewing machine, first with a straight stitch, then a tight zigzag for strength.




I then pinned one end of my elastic piece onto the gold trim,




I sewed this on as before, using a straight and then zigzag stitch.
Repeat this step and attach the other end of the elastic to the other piece of gold trim to create a loop.




Lastly, I hand stitched my third piece of gold trim onto the front white piece.




Fin!
Now you have a glamorous headband all you have to do is put on a sequinned dress, curl your hair and we might all start calling you Daisy. 




Good job old sport!



No comments:

Post a Comment